Healthy eating starts with healthy shopping. It is so easy to pick up food that may be bad for our health the instant we go to the grocery store. If we want to shop our way to health, there are some tips that we should know. Below, are some of these tips.
1. Have a plan before you go out shopping. If there are sales fliers you can check out, compare the prices and at the same take an inventory of your pantry and refrigerator to know which foods you need to buy. Make a list of what you need to buy and stick to that list. You can have one or two compulsory buys, but otherwise stick to the ingredients on your list so you can cook healthy meals for yourself and for your family at home.
2. Shop for a week at a time. You can shop for food that will last for more than a week if you have a big freezer. The tendency when you have to go to the store every day is to pick up junk food items every time. So, to avoid your snack supply from piling up, shop for a week or two.
3. Read the food label before you buy. Try to avoid purchasing brand name items simply because they are brand name or store brand items simply because they are less expensive. Actually look at the product’s nutritional value and try to get the most nutrients for your money. When you eat higher quality foods, you’ll feel fuller and, in turn, eat less, so this really is the best way to bargain shop.
4. Get a shopping basket instead of a shopping cart. If you are just shopping for yourself or your plan is to buy less, then get a basket. The biggest problem with health and grocery shopping is grabbing junk food items that you don’t really need. If you have a small basket, those other items like chocolate brownies or ice cream gallon won’t fit in so you’ll be compelled to just pass them by.
5. Don’t forget to consider drinks into your healthy shopping plan. Never buy sodas, punches and beers. These can have many empty calories and are generally not good for your health. Instead, look at the labels and choose diet drinks, water and sports drinks, or natural fruit juices, like apple juice.
Living healthier is possible with the addition of these simple lifestyle changes tips. It may not be easy the first time, but once you get used to it, you’ll not only be shopping healthy but you and your family will also be eating healthy.