This is how you get broccoli haters to eat the green stuff. Thank you, bacon! Lightly coated in a apple cider vinegar dressing, and tossed with almonds, carrots, red onions, and bacon, this salad is loaded with flavor and texture. It’s the perfect make-ahead side for a summer BBQ. And leftovers (though we’ll doubt you’ll have any!) will keep for up to 3 days. To make it a meal, add slices of grilled chicken. And for more cookout side inspiration, check out our other easy summer salads.
YIELDS: 4 – 6 SERVINGS
PREP TIME: 0 HOURS 20 MINS
TOTAL TIME: 0 HOURS 35 MINS
FOR THE SALAD:
3 heads broccoli, cut into bite-size pieces
2 carrots, shredded
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 c. dried cranberries
1/2 c. sliced almonds
6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
FOR THE DRESSING:
1/2 c. mayonnaise
3 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
Freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium sauce pan, bring 4 cups of salted water to a boil. While waiting for the water to boil, prepare a large bowl with ice water.
- Add broccoli florets to the boiling water and cook until tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and place in the prepared bowl of ice water. When cool, drain florets in a colander.
- In a large bowl, combine broccoli, carrots, red onion, cranberries, almonds and bacon.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together mayonnaise and vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour dressing over broccoli mixture and stir to combine.