Known as horiatiki, this traditional Greek salad is made with cherry tomatoes, cucumber, kalamata olives, thinly sliced red onion, and feta. The easy dressing is a mixture of red wine vinegar, fresh lemon juice, dried oregano, and extra-virgin olive oil. Simply said, it’s the best. Especially considering this Mediterranean side dish only takes 15 minutes to prepare.
What should you serve with this? You can’t go wrong with grilled chicken. But it would also taste amazing alongside baked Greek Salmon.
Test Kitchen Tips:
- If you’re sensitive to raw red onion, soak the slices in hot water for 10 to 15 minutes, rinse with cold, drain, and pat dry. This helps mellow the onions a bit.
- If you can’t find kalamata olives, black olives work well, too. Just make sure you remove the pits first!
- When tomatoes aren’t in season, we prefer grape or cherry tomatoes because they’re usually juicier and less mealy than tomatoes on the vine. Use whatever type of tomatoes looks best to you.
- Want to top this salad off with something great? you could roughly chop some pita chips for a bit of crunch or add some whole anchovies for a briny, salty punch.
- Everything can be prepped ahead, making this recipe almost impossibly easy. Go ahead and refrigerate each salad ingredient separately. Each will last up to 3 days in the fridge. (Yes, even the tomatoes.) And the dressing will keep, refrigerated, for up to 2 weeks.
- Use those salad ingredients as a soup garnish. We find that they work really well as a texture/flavor contrast with a number of creamy soups. Think butternut squash, carrot and the like. You may want to chop up the salad ingredients to make it all fit in one spoon.
PREP TIME: 0 HOURS 15 MINS
TOTAL TIME: 0 HOURS 15 MINS
FOR THE SALAD:
1 pt. grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
1 cucumber, thinly sliced into half moons
1 c. halved kalamata olives
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
3/4 c. crumbled feta
FOR THE DRESSING:
2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 tsp. dried oregano
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil
- Make salad: In a large bowl, stir together tomatoes, cucumber, olives, and red onion. Gently fold in feta.
- In a small bowl, make dressing: Combine vinegar, lemon juice, and oregano and season with salt and pepper. Slowly add olive oil, whisking to combine.
- Drizzle dressing over salad.