Sure, nice weather is great for the beach or the pool, but our minds immediately go to grilling. And though some folks like to go straight for burgers or chicken, we can’t get enough of grilled vegetables. Barbecuing veggies over smoking charcoal imparts even more flavor than roasting, and who can say no to those gorgeous char marks? Once you have the grill all fired up, it’s as easy as oven-roasted asparagus.
Few veggies grill up as nicely as asparagus. Thin stalks get crispy while thicker ones get tender. Finish with a bit of lemon or Parm and you’ll have the perfect cookout side in under 5 minutes.
For perfect grilled asparagus every time:
- Let your grill (or grill pan) preheat. You want it HOT, so that you hear a sizzle as soon as the asparagus hits the grate. This is where that char comes into play. A hot grill will ensure that your asparagus develops flavor while cooking to the proper tenderness. A grill that is not quite hot enough will result in more shriveled, dehydrated stalks.
- Cut off the woody ends. Trim the bottom inch or so off of each spear. It’s the part that tends to be super tough and very hard to chew and swallow. For bonus points, throw it into your compost!
- Season your asparagus generously. Not enough salt = bland. As simple as it is, proper seasoning can make or break a good bite. To avoid undesirable burning on the hot grates, save other flavors—like our burger seasoning—for sprinkling on after the asparagus come off the grill.
- Be patient. If the stalks you’re grilling are on the bigger side, they will take longer to cook. The asparagus is ready when you can easily pierce the middle with a fork and the stalk bends over like a tall tree in a storm when picked up.
What should you serve with this? Literally anything. Your main could be a juicy pork tenderloin or a hearty farro salad. Bottom line: Grilled asparagus tastes good with pretty much everything.
Have you made this recipe? Leave a comment below to let us know how you liked it and what you paired it with!
YIELDS: 4 SERVINGS
PREP TIME: 0 HOURS 5 MINS
TOTAL TIME: 0 HOURS 10 MINS
2 lb. asparagus, stalks trimmed
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat a grill or grill pan over high heat. Toss asparagus lightly in oil and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Grill, turning occasionally, until tender and charred, 3 to 4 minutes.