Wait, I can eat pizza on the paleo diet?!
Sure can! You just have to make sure you skip a dough with wheat and gluten and dairy (dairy-free mozzarella is surprisingly easy to find these days). But vegetables and pepperoni are totally allowed for topping.
What is paleo pizza crust made out of?
We’ve seen it all kinds of ways, with different types of flours, but we settled on almond flour for its nutty flavor. We also mix in spices—Italian seasoning and garlic powder—to give it more flavor. We skip yeast because it can be a pain and instead incorporate eggs and olive oil. The eggs help make the crust fluffy.
What toppings are allowed on paleo pizza?
Unfortunately not traditional cheese—but you already know 😉 But we believe strongly in the meltiness of cheese on pizza, so we top ours with dairy-free mozzarella. Paleo followers know that pepperoni is obviously allowed, and pile on the vegetables. We went supreme-style with mushrooms, bell peppers, olives, and red onion, which makes this pizza pretty irresistible.
YIELDS: 4 SERVINGS
PREP TIME: 0 HOURS 10 MINS
TOTAL TIME: 0 HOURS 30 MINS
2 1/2 c. almond flour, plus more for dusting
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
Large pinch garlic powder
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
3 large eggs
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 c. pizza sauce
1 c. shredded dairy-free mozzarella
1/4 c. pepperoni slices 1/4
small red onion, thinly sliced 1/2
small green bell pepper, thinly sliced
1/4 c. sliced black olives
2 cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
Pinch red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 425° with a rack in the top third. In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, baking powder, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and olive oil and pour into dry ingredients. Stir until a dough forms. Transfer dough to a piece of parchment paper. Place another piece of parchment on top and roll dough to ¼-inch thick. Remove top piece of parchment and discard.
- Slide bottom parchment paper with crust onto a baking sheet. Bake until crust is lightly golden, about 10 minutes.
- Spread pizza sauce over crust, leaving a ½-inch border. Top with mozzarella followed by vegetable toppings and return to oven. Bake until cheese is melted and crust is golden, about 10 minutes.
- Turn oven to broil and broil until cheese is golden, about 2 minutes.
- Garnish with red pepper flakes before serving.