If you’re on keto, you know there are a lot of no-nos in classic mac & cheese. This version takes out all the trouble children (ahem, PASTA) without sacrificing flavor. The pork rind topping is totally optional, but we think it adds a pleasant crunch. A few tips for getting it just right:
– Don’t skip the roasting. Roasting helps the cauliflower release water and caramelize, adding a richer flavor to the mac.
-Punch up the protein with bacon. Fold 6 ounces of crumbled cooked bacon into the cauliflower and cheeses just before adding the pork rind topping.
– Swap in different cheeses. If your favorite macaroni recipe calls for fontina, gouda or gruyere, feel free use for some of the cheddar.
Refrigerated in an airtight container, this mac will last up to 5 days. We suggest reheating in a 400° oven until warmed through—the high temperature will help crisp the topping.
This dish is a perfect side for air fryer steak or keto crispy friend chicken.
YIELDS: 8 SERVINGS
PREP TIME: 0 HOURS 20 MINS
TOTAL TIME: 1 HOUR 20 MINS
FOR THE MAC & CHEESE:
Butter, for baking dish
2 medium heads cauliflower, cut into florets
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 c. heavy cream
6 oz. cream cheese, cut into cubes
4 c. shredded cheddar
2 c. shredded mozzarella
1 tbsp. hot sauce (optional)
Freshly ground black pepper
FOR THE TOPPING:
4 oz. pork rinds, crushed
1/4 c. freshly grated Parmesan
1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 tbsp. freshly chopped parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375° and butter a 9”-x-13” baking dish. In a large bowl, toss cauliflower with 2 tablespoons oil and season with salt. Spread cauliflower onto two large baking sheets and roast until tender and lightly golden, about 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot over medium heat, heat cream. Bring up to a simmer, then decrease heat to low and stir in cheeses until melted. Remove from heat, add hot sauce if using and season with salt and pepper, then fold in roasted cauliflower. Taste and season more if needed.
- Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish. In a medium bowl stir to combine pork rinds, Parmesan, and oil. Sprinkle mixture in an even layer over cauliflower and cheese.
- Bake until golden, 15 minutes. If desired, turn oven to broil to toast topping further, about 2 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley before serving.
Like this recipe? Get access to a Custom Keto Diet plan that works together with your schedule and preferences to create a tailor-made solution for you.