There are many ways you can cook asparagus, but roasting is our absolute favorite. When the stalks darken and crisp, they’re not burning, they’re developing more flavor. And for thicker stalks, roasting makes a perfectly tender interior that seriously can’t be beat. Here’s to cook perfect asparagus every time.
- Trim the woody ends. The bottom of asparagus spears are super tough and nearly impossible to bite through, even when cooked. Cut them off, or peel off the thick green outer layer using a vegetable peeler!
- Season generously. Don’t be shy with salt and pepper or else your asparagus can turn out very bland.
- Roast in a single layer. If you overcrowd the pan, you risk steaming the asparagus, which would prohibit char. Char is good!
Looking to amp up the flavor? A sprinkle of parm or a squeeze of lemon juice never hurts! Got leftovers? Throw it in some creamy bacon risotto, lemony pasta, or cheesy skillet quiche.
PREP TIME: 0 HOURS 5 MINS
TOTAL TIME: 0 HOURS 30 MINS
2 lb. asparagus, stalks trimmed
3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400º. On a large baking sheet, toss asparagus with olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Roast until tender and slightly charred, 25 minutes.